The Leavers by Lisa Ko & Chinese Pork Lettuce Cups
Lettuce Cups are the perfect match for this week’s book review. Lisa Ko’s book, is all about people leaving. And these tasty lettuce wraps are perfect to grab and go! The hearty Bibb lettuce leaves make them ideal portable little dishes. Make the pork mixture in advance and then just stuff a piece a lettuce as you go out the door! Just make sure you bring a napkin or two to collect the juice that drips down your chin. Enjoy!
Chinese Pork Lettuce Cups
- 1 tablespoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 12 ounces lean ground pork
- 1 1/2 cups diced seeded cucumber
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup diced carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup salted, dry-roasted peanuts, chopped
- 1/2 serrano chile, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 16 Bibb lettuce leaves
- Combine ginger, pork and garlic in a medium bowl, mixing gently until just combined;
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add pork mixture to pan; sauté 5 minutes or until pork is browned, stirring to crumble. Place pork mixture in a large bowl.
- Add cucumber and next 5 ingredients (through serrano) to pork mixture, and stir to combine.
- Combine lime juice, fish sauce, and sugar in a small bowl, stirring until sugar dissolves. Add juice mixture to pork mixture; toss.
- Place about 1/3 cup pork mixture in each lettuce leaf.